WE DID NOT FORGET
Losses that are brought on by earthquakes are not our destiny. With scientific preventive measures we can decrease hazard. We must get ready for future earthquakes with this frame of mind.
An earthquake victim related the experience of the August 17 earthquake:
“An ill-fated disaster descended on Yalova towards the morning on August 17, 1999. People were dead, wounded and left without homes. The disaster was the result of uncaring, ignorance, greed and not believing in science.
We later learned that Yalova ÇYDD members had notified President Türkan Saylan. A crisis desk was created with her guidance. ÇYDD members came to Yalova with their president. We observed that they were working like bees. We saw that they were ‘ours’ and we were ‘theirs’. We joined them. The place was like a war zone. People’s hearts were on fire. There was no end to needs. That was alright, because Türkan Saylan was on top of things.
SHE EMBROIDERED THE PLACE WITH HER SKILLED HANDS
Perhaps, the state authorities, the army, business people didn’t see this at first, but Türkan Saylan was the shaping force behind them. Scholarships were directed to students who were victims of the earthquake. This was a continuum that started with body bags and got to today’s success.
In the middle of this cooperation were TÜRKAN SAYLAN and ÇYDD volunteers”.
WE WILL NEVER FORGET THE EARTHQUAKE AND THE COLLECTIVE LABOR THAT FOLLOWED!
SCHOOLS AND ADDITIONAL CLASSROOMS CREATED AND TRANSFERRED TO THE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION BY ÇYDD IN EARTHQUAKE AREAS AND CITIES THAT RECEIVED EARTHQUAKE MIGRATION:
1. Sakarya-Ferizli, Contemporary Life-Münster Region, Classrooms (6 classes).
March 4, 2000
2. Sakarya-Ferizli, Contemporary Life-Gillette, Primary School (8 classes).
March 4, 2000
3. Sakarya-Ferizli County Library, renovated and made into classrooms (2 classes). March 4, 2000
4. Bolu-In the garden of Gazipaşa Primary School, Contemporary Life-Oxford Classrooms (6 classes). May 7, 2000
5. Bolu-Contemporary Life-SİTA, Primary School (10 classes). May 7, 2000
6. Düzce-In place of the collapsed school the new 2 storey Cumhuriyet Primary School built by BP (19 classes). May 31, 2000
7. Düzce-Cumayeri, Contemporary Life-Ronly, Primary School (8 classes).
October 19, 2000
8. Kocaeli-Bekirpaşa, Contemporary Life-Israeli friends, Primary School (8 classes). June 16, 2000
9. Bolu-In place of the collapsed Cumhuriyet School, the new Primary School, Contemporary Life-Baden Württenberg (10 classes). November 2, 2000
10. Düzce-For the Community Cultural Centers of the 4 prefab cities, 6 container classrooms (6 classes). 2000
11. Sakarya-Adapazarı, in place of the collapsed ones, new Community Education Center and Evening Arts School, Contemporary Life-Chase (15 classes). May 1, 2000
12. Kocaeli-Körfez, Contemporary Life-Hasbro Intertoy, Primary School (8 classes). April 29, 2000
13. Kocaeli-Gebze,Kargalı Köyü, Contemporary Life-Novartis, Primary School (8 classes). April 19, 2000
14. Kocaeli-Kandıra,Seyitaliler, Contemporary Life-Faultline, Primary School (8 classes). June 3, 2000
15. Kocaeli-Sarımeşe, Contemporary Life-Pepsi Co., Primary School (8 classes). May 6, 2000
16. Kocaeli-İsmet İnönü Elementary School classrooms, Contemporary Life-Münster Region (4 classes). 2000
17. Kocaeli University-Vinsan, Contemporary Life-Pepsi Co., classrooms (4 classes). May 25, 2000
18. Erzurum-Şenkaya,Görüşken Village, Contemporary Life-AFAD, Primary School (3 classes and lodging). September 25, 2000
19. Erzurum-Şenkaya,Çamlıalan Village, Contemporary Life-İstanbul Culture and Arts Foundation, Primary School (3 classes and lodging). September 25, 2000
20. Erzurum-Şenkaya,Yanıkkaval Village, Contemporary Life-IBM, Primary School (3 classes and lodging). September 25, 2000
21. Urfa-Hilvan, Contemporary Life İmece, Primary School (8 classes).
April 14, 2000
22. Diyarbakır-Çınar, Contemporary Life-Profilo (BHS), Primary School (8 classes). December 18, 2000
23. Erzurum-Aşkale, Contemporary Life-İYG, Primary School (8 classes).
April 23, 2000
24. Diyarbakır-Ergani, Contemporary Life-İYG, Primary School (8 classes).
October 14, 2000
25. Yalova, for the Yalova Girl’s Trade School, Contemporary Life, main classrooms (3 classes). January 31, 2001
26. Kocaeli-Uzuntarla, for the Cumhuriyet Primary School, Yaşam Fatoş Günal Maternal Class (1 class). 2000
27. Kocaeli-Mimar Sinan Primary School Maternal Class, Contemporary Life-Enfor Institut and Wiener Werkstaetten Berlin (2 classes). 2000
28. Kocaeli-Derince, Contemporary Life-Frito-Lay, Primary School (9 classes). August 17, 2001
29. Kocaeli-Körfez, on the rehabilitation site, Münster Region and 2 Hamiyet Komiyama container classrooms (3 classes). 2000
30. İstanbul, Zeytinburnu-In the garden of Bozkurt Primary School, in place of the collapsed Education Center, Münster Region and Dr. Horst Müller Containers (brought over from the earthquake area) (2 classes). 2000
TOTAL NUMBER OF CLASSROOMS: 199